11/12/09

Searching...

I've been doing some soul-searching these last few weeks. Asking myself some tough questions. Discussing the future with Scott. Thinking about what's next.... Where we go from here? Do we follow the same path we traveled last time? Do we take more chances? Do we change anything? Maybe we think a different way about the treatment process. And even bigger questions... Do we need to be parents? How important is it to us, to Scott.... to me?

We actually have had this discussion a few times these last couple of months. We love each other. We are happy and fulfilled and maybe that is enough. Maybe being a parent to a child is not in our cards. Could we sustain this fulfillment through the years - without children?

But then, we discuss it further. The idea now, today may be okay with us. But 10 years, 20 years from now....that's where I stop and think about the emptiness I may feel, not being a parent.

I wonder what my threshold is.... with these pregnancies. What's my limit? I will now be looking at the double digits. That seems unimaginable. I've almost forgotten some of them, like I've blocked the memory out. I truly feel as if I'm telling someone else's story. In some ways, this is true.....

When I was a young girl, living in South Dakota I had a neighbor friend that I would visit often. I remember one time playing with this friend, at her home. Her mother was sad that day. I had learned that the mom had lost a baby, had a miscarriage. I was 8 years old and somehow comprehended this. What I continued to learn is that this was her 11th miscarriage. That news was amazing to me. I could not grasp how that must have been, how she felt, why it was happening....all the questions a curious girl would think in her mind. I knew I was sad for her and wondered how she could go through such a horrible thing, so many times. This mother's story stayed with me through the years - to this day....we have this common thread. Generations apart, medical advances separating our lives - but we share this thing.

I think I've got a few more left in me. Maybe two or three - if that's what it takes. We'll see. Maybe next month - we'll start again....we'll see. But for now - I'm content.

No comments:

Post a Comment